13 International Congress on Circumpolar Health
Gateway to the International Polar Year
June 12 -16, 2006
The Absract Book
I have the pleasure to invite you to the International Congress on Circumpolar Health – 13 (ICCH 13). The Congress will be held in Novosibirsk - one of the greatest scientific, cultural and industrial centers of Russia. The Mission of the Congress is to 1) strengthen the international professional ties between the medical scientists, health care specialists, health administrators, and indigenous peoples of the Far North; 2) enrich the knowledge in the circumpolar health sciences and up to date scientific technologies, and; 3) develop new cooperative projects. The theme for the ICCH 13 is “The North – The Peace Zone”.
The ICCH 13 will serve as the gateway event for the 2007 – 2008 International Polar Year. "What is the International Polar Year (IPY) 2007-2008?" At its most fundamental level, IPY 2007-2008 is envisioned to be an intense, coordinated campaign of polar observations, research, and analysis that will be multidisciplinary in scope and international in participation. IPY 2007-2008 will provide a framework and impetus to undertake projects that normally could not be achieved by any single nation. It allows us to think beyond traditional borders – whether national borders or disciplinary constraints – toward a new level of integrated, cooperative science.
Take advantage of this event, to see the unique places on the Earth – Lake Baikal, Altai, and Lake Teletskoe; to cruise the great Siberian Rivers – the Ob, Yenisei, and Lena; to visit the Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre of world reputation, numerous museums, botanic gardens and the zoo with exclusive collections of plants and animals.
I look forward to meeting you in Novosibirsk in June of 2006!
Co-chairman of the ICCH 13, President of SB RAMS, Valeri Trufakin
Welcome to the 13th International Congress on Circumpolar Health. Please join me as we form the human Gateway to the International Polar Year, here in The North – The Peace Zone.
The international community has looked forward to returning to Novosibirsk since our last meeting here in 1974. Many things have changed since our last visit en masse to Novosibirsk 32 years ago. As we prepare for the International Polar Year, the ICCH 13 could not come at a more influential juncture.
Our research focus has changed from simply describing elements of high latitude regions to in depth analyses of the many trends in climate change and their effect on the human condition. When coupled with the many effects of social and cultural transition, the impact has been vast.
To that end, the International Union for Circumpolar Health has raised human health to one of the major areas of study for the first time in an International Polar Year. Our main focus has been through the Arctic Human Health Initiative, among our many other preparations to maximize the International Polar Year research agenda.
Please join me as we explore the current high latitude regions together and discover how the many changes affect the circumpolar human condition. Let us enjoy the many benefits of ICCH 13 local organizing committee’s efforts, so we can improve the North – The Peace Zone for all future circumpolar peoples.
Co-chairman of the ICCH 13, President of IUCH, Neil Murphy
The 13 International Congress on Circumpolar Health will take place on June 12-16, 2006, in Novosibirsk (Akademgorodok, House of Scientists SB RAS), Russia, hosted by the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, International Union of Circumpolar Health, Ministry of Public Health and Social Development of RF, the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences and Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
The following events will be held during the Congress:
- International Polar Year: Research Agenda. Implementation and the Future
- The North: Unique Terrestrial and Social Environment
- Community Based Research
- Injury Prevention
- Women’s Health
- Nutrition and Food Security
- Aboriginal People’s Health
- Populations in Transition
- Health and Social Well-being
- Ecology and Adaptation (Medical Ecology)
- Genetics, Demography, Anthropology
- Behavioral Health
- Public Health
- Child Health
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Occupational Health
- Ear, Nose, Throat Diseases
- Infection Diseases and Retroviruses
- Education in the North, Paramedics Training Programs
- Alcohol, Smoking, and Drug Abuse
- Researches in Common: Antarctica and Arctic
- Northern Epidemiology
- Interventional Studies
- Pulmonary Disease in the Arctic
- Environmental Health
- A one day workshop “Viral Hepatitis in Arctic and Sub-Arctic Regions” (Brian McMahon, Alaska Native Medical Center, Arctic Investigations Program CDC, the USA – Chairman).
- A satellite symposium “Medico-Environmental Problems of Workers` Health in Siberia and the Far North” (N.F. Izmerov , Academician of RAMS, Russia – Chairman)
- A competition among Russian students and young scientists on the Congress topics
- Meeting «HEALTH OF NATIVE RESIDENTS OF THE NORTH –
A NECESSARY CONDITION FOR SURVIVAL IN THE MODERN WORLD»More...
The ICCH13 languages are English and Russian. Presentations and discussions will be conducted in English. ICCH13 materials will be published in English.
- Laura Arbour (Canada)
- James Berner (Alaska)
- Peter Bjerregaard (Denmark/Greenland)
- Mark Buell (Canada)
- Louise Bujold Brown (Canada)
- Patricia A. L. Cochran (Alaska)
- George A. Conway (Alaska)
- Eric Dewailly (Canada)
- Jens C. Hansen (Denmark)
- Bent Harvald (Denmark)
- Carl Hild (Alaska)
- Ingvar Holmer (Sweden)
- Preben Homoe (Denmark)
- Vladimir Konenkov (Russia)
- Sergey Krivoschekov (Russia)
- Juhani Leppaluoto (Finland)
- Inge Lynge (Denmark)
- Gert Mulvad (Greenland)
- Neil Murphy (Alaska) - President of IUCH
- Elizabeth Nobmann (Alaska)
- Earl Nowgesic (Canada)
- Pamela Orr (Canada)
- Alan Parkinson (Alaska)
- Thomas Stensgaard (Danish/Greenlandic)
- T. Kue Young (Canada)
- Borge Ytterstad (Norway)
The Key Note Speakers:
- Jay Butler, Alaska State Epidemiologist & Chief, Alaska Department of Health & Social Services, Division of Public Health and Infectious Disease physician at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage Alaska “Emerging Infectious Diseases in High Latitudes”, the USA
- Katherine Grosdidier-Gottlieb, Native Leader, President and Chief Executive Officer of Southcentral Foundation, "The Family Wellness Warriors Initiative", the USA
- L.N. Dyachenko, Deputy Director of Department of Interregional Relations of Ministry of Regional Development of RF “Social and Ethno Cultural Development as a Factor of Indigenous People`s Health in the Far North, Siberia, and the Far East” , Russia
- Marit Eika Jørgensen, National Institute of Public Health, Center for Health Research in Greenland, “Epidemiology of Obesity among Inuit”, Denmark
- S.G. Krivoschekov, Doctor of Medical Science, Professor, Head of Laboratory of the In-stitute of Physiology of SB RAMS, Novosibirsk “Psycho Physiological Mechanisms of Adaptation and Disadaptation in the North”, Russia
- Riccardo Manfredini, Professor, Director of Science Centre “BIOFIN LABORATORIES”, “Modern strategy of development of biotechnology”, Italy
- V.T. Manchuk, Corresponding member of RAMS, Director of the Institute of Medical Problems in the North of SB RAMS, Krasnoyarsk “Ethnic and Environmental Factors of Population`s Health in Siberia”, Russia
- Nancy Maynard, Associate Director for Environment and Health group of NASA at the Goddard Space Flight Center "The Arctic, Remote Sensing, and Human Health", the USA
- Neil Murphy, President of the International Union of Circumpolar Health “The Circum-polar Health Movement Comes Full Circle: Fifty Years and Counting”, the USA
- Yu.P.Nikitin, Academician of RAMS, Counsellor at Directorate of the Institute of Inter-nal Medicine of SB RAMS, Novosibirsk “Cardiovascular Diseases and Risk Factors of Indigenous People and Newcomers in Siberia”, Russia
- L.E. Panin, Academician of RAMS, Director of the Institute of Biochemistry of SB RAMS, Novosibirsk “Human Homeostasis in High Latitudes”, Russia
- Alan Parkinson, Acting Director Arctic Investigations Program, US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, located in Anchorage, Alaska "The International Polar Year 2007-2008: The Arctic Human Health Legacy", the USA
- V.P. Puzyrev, Director of the Institute of Medical Genetics of SB RAMS, Tomsk “Ge-netic Diversity of Siberian Population and Human Health”, Russia
- Jeff Reading, the inaugural Scientific Director of the Canadian Institutes of Health Re-search Institute of Aboriginal Peoples’ Health. ”Improving Health for Future Genera-tions”, Canada
- Hannu Rintamäki, Oulu Regional Institute of Occupational Health, University of Oulu “Human response to cold”, Finland
- V.A. Trufakin, Academician of RAMS, President of SB RAMS, Vice-president of RAMS, Director of the Institute of Physiology of SB RAMS, Novosibirsk “Analysis of Medical Demographic Situation in Siberia”, Russia
- Warren Zapol, Polar Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences “International Polar Year and Health Initiatives”, the USA
The 13 International Congress on Circumpolar Health will take place on June 12-16, 2006, in Novosibirsk in the House of Scientists of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Akademgorodok, Russia - about a 40 KM (~ 1 hour) drive from Novosibirsk. More detailed information about the 13 ICCH schedule will be given later.
Programm Committee of Congress
Submit and Registration:
The Abstract deadline for publication in the Abstract Book is March 31, 2006. Abstracts submitted after March, 31 can not be published in the Abstract book, but can still be presented at the ICCH13. Late coming Abstracts will still be eligible for publication as a manuscript in the ICCH13 Proceedings, if appropriate criteria are met.
Abstracts (no more than 350 words) can be submitted by e-mailing it to email@example.com
. Faxed abstracts will not be considered. The abstracts will be processed by the Organizing Committee. An abstract book will be distributed at the meeting.
Registration is still available after March 31, 2006. The application form will be e-mailed to the registrant. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for Registration materials.
The International Polar Year
John Hildes Circumpolar Health Awards
Hansen Awards 2006
Here you can get the information about Akademgorodok.
© 1996-2005, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk
Last update: Monday, 15-Jun-2009 10:44:21 NOVST