1. F. Eilenberger, K. Prater, S. Minardi, R. Geiss, U. Röpke, J. Kobelke, K. Schuster, H. Bartelt, S. Nolte, A. Tünnermann, and T. Pertsch, “Observation of discrete, vortex light bullets,” Phys. Rev. X 3, 041031 (2013).
2. I. Gasulla and J. Capmany, “Microwave photonics applications of multicore fibers,” IEEE Photon. J. 4, 877–888 (2012).
3. H. Tünnermann and A. Shirakawa, “Self-focusing in multicore fibers,” Opt. Express 23, 2436–2445 (2015).
4. A. A. Balakin, A. G. Litvak, V. A. Mironov, and S. A. Skobelev, “Collapse of the wave field in a one-dimensional system of weakly coupled light guides,” Phys. Rev. A 94, 063806 (2016).
5. D. J. Richardson, J. M. Fini, and L. E. Nelson, “Space-division multiplexing in optical fibres,” Nat. Photonics 7, 354–362 (2013).
6. K. Saitoh and S. Matsuo, “Multicore fiber technology,” J. Lightwave Technol. 34, 55–66 (2016).
7. K. Igarashi, T. Tsuntani, and I. Morita, “1-Exabit/s×km super-nyquist-WDM multi-core-fiber transmission,” in Optical Communication (ECOC) (Systematic Paris Region Systems and ICT Cluster, 2014), pp. 1–3.
8. R. G. H. van Uden, R. Amezcua Correa, E. Antonio Lopez, F. M. Huijskens, C. Xia, G. Li, A. Schülzgen, H. de Waardt, A. M. J. Koonen, and C. M. Okonkwo, “Ultra-high-density spatial division multiplexing with a few-mode multicore fibre,” Nat. Photonics 8, 865–870 (2014).
9. P. K. Cheo, A. Liu, and G. G. King, “A high-brightness laser beam from a phase-locked multicore Yb-doped fiber laser array,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 13, 439–441 (2001).
10. L. P. Ramirez, M. Hanna, G. Bouwmans, H. E. Hamzaoui, M. Bouazaoui, D. Labat, K. Delplace, J. Pouysegur, F. Guichard, P. Rigaud, V. Kermène, A. Desfarges-Berthelemot, A. Barthélémy, F. Prévost, L. Lombard, Y. Zaouter, F. Druon, and P. Georges, “Coherent beam combining with an ultrafast multicore Yb-doped fiber amplifier,” Opt. Express 23, 5406–5416 (2015).
11. L. Hadzievski, A. Maluckov, A. M. Rubenchik, and S. Turitsyn, “Stable optical vortices in nonlinear multicore fibers,” Light Sci. Appl. 4, e314 (2015).
12. E. R. Andresen, S. Sivankutty, V. Tsvirkun, G. Bouwmans, and H. Rigneault, “Ultrathin endoscopes based on multicore fibers and adaptive optics: a status review and perspectives,” J. Biomed. Opt. 21, 121506 (2016).
13. R. Florentin, V. Kermene, J. Benoist, A. Desfarges-Berthelemot, D. Pagnoux, A. Barthélémy, and J.-P. Huignard, “Shaping the light amplified in a multimode fiber,” Light Sci. Appl. 6, e16208 (2017).
14. J. Bourderionnet, C. Bellanger, J. Primot, and A. Brignon, “Collective coherent phase combining of 64 fibers,” Opt. Express 19, 17053–17058 (2011).
15. H. Jacqmin, A. Jullien, B. Mercier, and R. Lopez-Martens, “Temporal pulse division in hollow fiber compressors,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 32, 1901–1909 (2015).
16. P. Rigaud, V. Kermene, G. Bouwmans, L. Bigot, A. Desfarges-Berthelemot, and A. Barthélémy, “Spectral division amplification of a 40 nm bandwidth in a multicore Yb doped fiber and femtosecond pulse synthesis with in-fiber delay line,” Opt. Express 23, 27448–27456 (2015).
17. L. Ionel and D. Ursescu, “Non-collinear spectral coherent combination of ultrashort laser pulses,” Opt. Express 24, 7046–7054 (2016).
18. T. Fan, “Laser beam combining for high-power, high-radiance sources,” IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 11, 567–577 (2005).
19. M. Hanna, F. Guichard, Y. Zaouter, D. N. Papadopoulos, F. Druon, and P. Georges, “Coherent combination of ultrafast fiber amplifiers,” J. Phys. B 49, 062004 (2016).
20. J. Lhermite, E. Suran, V. Kermene, F. Louradour, A. Desfarges-Berthelemot, and A. Barthélémy, “Coherent combining of 49 laser beams from a multiple core optical fiber by a spatial light modulator,” Opt. Express 18, 4783–4789 (2010).
21. A. M. Rubenchik, I. S. Chekhovskoy, M. P. Fedoruk, O. V. Shtyrina, and S. K. Turitsyn, “Nonlinear pulse combining and pulse compression in multi-core fibers,” Opt. Lett. 40, 721–724 (2015).
22. A. B. Aceves, G. G. Luther, C. De Angelis, A. M. Rubenchik, and S. K. Turitsyn, “Optical pulse compression using fiber arrays,” Opt. Fiber Technol. 1, 244–246 (1995).
23. A. B. Aceves, C. D. Angelis, G. G. Luther, A. M. Rubenchik, and S. K. Turitsyn, “All-optical-switching and pulse amplification and steering in nonlinear fiber arrays,” Physica D 87, 262–272 (1995).
24. I. S. Chekhovskoy, A. M. Rubenchik, O. V. Shtyrina, M. P. Fedoruk, and S. K. Turitsyn, “Nonlinear combining and compression in multicore fibers,” Phys. Rev. A 94, 043848 (2016).
25. I. S. Chekhovskoy, M. A. Sorokina, A. M. Rubenchik, M. P. Fedoruk, and S. K. Turitsyn, “On demand spatial beam self-focusing in hexagonal multicore fiber,” IEEE Photon. J. 10, 1–8 (2018).
26. A. B. Aceves, O. V. Shtyrina, A. M. Rubenchik, M. P. Fedoruk, and S. K. Turitsyn, “Spatiotemporal optical bullets in two-dimensional fiber arrays and their stability,” Phys. Rev. A 91, 033810 (2015).
27. S. Mumtaz, R. Essiambre, and G. Agrawal, “Nonlinear propagation in multimode and multicore fibers: generalization of the Manakov equations,” J. Lightwave Technol. 31, 398–406 (2013).
28. S. K. Turitsyn, “Nonstable solitons and sharp criteria for wave collapse,” Phys. Rev. E 47, R13–R16 (1993).
29. E. A. Kuznetsov, J. J. Rasmussen, K. Rypdal, and S. K. Turitsyn, “Sharper criteria for the wave collapse,” Physica D 87, 273–284 (1995).
30. I. Chekhovskoy, V. Paasonen, O. Shtyrina, and M. Fedoruk, “Numerical approaches to simulation of multi-core fibers,” J. Comput. Phys. 334, 31–44 (2017).
31. N. Higham, “The scaling and squaring method for the matrix exponential revisited,” SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl. 26, 1179–1193 (2005).
32. G. Agrawal, Nonlinear Fiber Optics, 4th ed. (Academic, 2013).
33. F.-A. Fortin, F.-M. De Rainville, M.-A. Gardner, M. Parizeau, and C. Gagné, “DEAP: evolutionary algorithms made easy,” J. Mach. Learn. Res. 13, 2171–2175 (2012).